There were several winners at Rappahannock Westminster-Canterbury Foundation’s 33rd Annual Open Golf Tournament benefiting the RWC Fellowship Fund held April 27 at Indian Creek Yacht & Country Club. But the biggest winner was the Fellowship Fund.
Players were divided into three flights. First flight champions were sponsored by Haywood Floor Covering Inc. with a 50. The team from Marsh & McLennan topped the second flight with a 53. Chesapeake Land Works LLC sponsored the third flight with a 50. The winning ladies team was sponsored by Melanie Carter-Maguire with a 58.
“Thirty teams (120 golfers) enjoyed a lovely day at Indian Creek and benefited an important part of our community at the same time,” said Brenda Mayer, Indian Creek head golf professional.
Other winners included Jeff Verlander for the Men’s Closest to the pin (with a hole in one on No. 2!) and Ruth Thomas with the Women’s Closest to the Pin. Men’s longest drive winner was Hooper Loscomb and Ann Stanley had the longest drive for the women.
Adam Duryea and David Nova of Coastal Builders, Inc were co-chairs of this year’s tournament. RWC President Stuart Bunting expressed his appreciation for the overwhelming community and statewide support from participants, sponsors and prize donors.
“This tournament really goes a long way toward helping us achieve our Foundation’s mission,” Bunting said. “Since 1986, the Fellowship Fund has provided more than $5.5 million in grants to ensure that RWC residents can enjoy a lifestyle of dignity and comfort at RWC’s Total LifeCare Retirement Community. “
- When play ended, participants enjoyed a reception and awards ceremony sponsored by Haywood Floor Covering Inc. at Rappahannock Westminster-Canterbury.
- This year’s platinum sponsors were Coastal Builders Inc and Connemara Corporation, Inc.
- Bill Hudgins Auto GMC provided a GMC Sierra Truck for the hole-in-one prize on hole #11.
- Gold Sponsors were Chesapeake Bank, Chesapeake Wealth Management and Eagle Fire.
- Silver Sponsors were Bay Design Group, Chesapeake Land Works LLC, David & Katie Dew, Isabell Horsley Real Estate, King Carter Golf Course, Lowe Brokenbrough & Company, Marsh & McLennan, and NWP Energy Co.
- Team Sponsors included Bank of Lancaster, Carter Machinery, Earth Resources, B. Elbourn & Son, Johnson Controls Inc., MD Associates, Noblett Appliance, Piankatank River Golf, Tri Star Super Market, Ellie Davis, Ruth Fisher, Jerry Hamm, Kent McCraney, Melanie Carter-Maguire, Doug Monroe, and Mary Kay Rotert
- Hole Sponsors included Bay Internists Inc., Bay Port Painting, Breeden & Breeden, Guernsey Tingle, Jerry Hamm, PermaTreat, Ransone’s Nursery & Maintenance Inc., Rhudy & Co., RWC Resident’s Association, Sam Rust Seafood, Union Bank & Trust, Virginia Women’s Center, and Anchor Pharmacy as a tournament patron.
- Golf courses and clubs supplying gifts for participants were The Golden Eagle, Golden Horseshoe Golf Club, Indian Creek Yacht & Country Club, King Carter Golf Club, Lee’s Hill Golf Club, Piankatank River Golf Club, The
- Signature at West Neck Golf Club and Wintergreen Resort.
- Prizes for golfers were provided by Car Wash Café, Great Fortune Chinese Restaurant, Lee’s Restaurant, Pizza Hut, The River Market, The Thai Pot Restaurant, Walmart, and Willaby’s.